Thursday 14 February 2013

Stitched and Knitted smocks for Collector's dolls 2003-5

 I first became interested in knitted and stitched smocks some years ago
as they seemed to represent the nearest the English had to a national costume



I spent happy hours researching children's clothing
visiting the costume collection at Platt Hall in Manchester



and studying French layette and children's underwear.

Why French?
Because the stitches were so small and the seams so tiny!


Then I cut scaled patterns for Collector's dolls
This doll above is 25" high, but most were 14 - 20".



The cardigan was knitted from Appleton's crewel wool
with size 20 needles (about the thickness of a paperclip)


Most of the dresses were made from Liberty's Tana Lawn

This how I remember being dressed when I was little-
in hand-me-down smocked dresses

No comments:

Post a Comment